Fedora 12 Update Breaks X / KDE

BeartoothHbsk beartooth at comcast.net
Sun Apr 25 21:41:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:23:09 +0100, Chris Ross wrote:

> Yesterday I did a normal yum upgrade and it pulled in a few packages
> (listed below).
>
> Since then I've had problems such as Kate refusing to run [....]

> and more. Does anyone else see this?

	Yes! And I run Gnome. Do you use a KVM switch??

	In fact, I'm seeing it for at least the third time. With a
difference.

	In my case, this time as before, it has something to do with my
USB KVM switch. There have been several bugs reported to Redhat Bugzilla.

	I haven't reported yet, because I'm still testing what worked
last time and the time before: shut all machines down; pull one out from
behind the switch, connect it to the peripherals directly, and put it
through its paces, at length; repeat with each machine (I'm on the second
of three); then put them all back behind the switch. Tedious and
tiresome, but it has worked here twice, and seems to be working again.

	If you *don't* have a KVM switch, I'm afraid I have no clue.