NetworkManager, is it important?

Gergely Buday gbuday at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 13:24:54 UTC 2010

Hi there,

yesterday I configured my fedora 12 box. With NetworkManager I could
not make it to have network after boot. At last I removed
NetworkManager and createad an S07network link in /etc/rc5.d to
/etc/init.d/network. It worked - good old Unix wisdom. With
NetworkManager there was even the problem that after manually starting
network Firefox switched to offline mode - an annoying problem that my
users cannot manage.

What do I miss if I do not have NetworkManager? In what circumstances
do I need it _really_ ?

Cheers

- Gergely