EVGA GTX 295 not working

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 14:27:19 UTC 2010

On 26 April 2010 06:46, badmagic <badmagic at foo-unix.org> wrote:
> Hi all (figured out the problem),
>
> I've had trouble installing Fedora for the last few releases. I don't
> have it installed at the moment so I can't offer much help BUT as I'm
> certain my prob relates to my EVGA GTX 295 Co-Op Edition graphics card
> and these are quite common cards, I'm sure the fix is quite widely known.
>
> Everything installs/boots okay until I get to the bit where I need to
> log in. I get the GDM graphical login screen but the mouse and keyboard
> seem to stop working. If I change to terminal view (Ctrl Alt F2 for
> memory) I can still type DMESG shows problems with the graphics card -
> can't remember specifics.
>
> I tried changing the xorg.conf to settings I know worked under other
> distros/BSD/Solaris (using xorg) to no avail.
>
> Is this a known problem? Is there a fix? Is there some GRUB switch I can
> throw in there that'll work - I tried some to no avail.

I am not sure but your card is probably not supported by the open
source nouveau drivers. Have you tried using the proprietary drivers
packaged by rpmfusion [http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia]? If not you
could give that a shot. I would go about it like this,

1. Boot to runlevel 3
2. use yum to install rpmfusion free and non-free repo
3. now use yum to install the nvidia proprietary drivers
4. reboot

> My specs are as follows:
>
> ASUS P5Q Deluxe motherboard
> 4GB Kingston (compatible with mobo) RAM
> EVGA GTX 295 co-op edition graphics card
> Corsair HX 1000W (more than enough)

Nice rig ;)

> That's about all

GL