Strange issue with ceasing IO operations

Ziemowit Pierzycki zpierzycki at onmonitor.net
Tue Apr 27 04:09:56 UTC 2010

I'm having an issue with my server.  After successful installation of F12
the system works normally for a while and then seems like all IO operations
cease.  I am not able to access anything from the disk so only the cached
commands work.  The CPU utilization is very low while load average is
through the roof along with IOWAIT pegged at close to 100%.  There is no
disk activity at all.  There are no errors anywhere.  Everything seems to be
in order.

I think this is related to the software RAID I setup on the system.  I have
four 1 TB Western Digital Green drives configured using BIOS configuration
into RAID10.  I'm just not sure what the heck is going on.

I'm not sure this is motherboard/CPU/memory related because I tried it with
two different computers and the only thing that I moved between them were
the drives.  Any ideas how I could troubleshoot this further?

--
Thank you,

Ziemowit Pierzycki