[OT] List Mail From Address

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 27 08:14:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 23:16 -0400, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> Is it possible to get the list mail to bear the return address of the
> mail list instead of the address of the person who sent the mail to the
> list?
>
> I've subscribed to several other lists that work that way.

Just because you've used some broken mailing lists doesn't mean others
should follow in their example.  This list works the way that just about
every other list I've ever used does.

The "to" address shows where the message went to (the list).
The "from" address shows where it came from (the author).
The "reply-to" address shows where replies should go to (the list).

The one deviation from the bad is this list's "subject" line shows the
subject, and doesn't have any other [crap] inserted.

The from address shouldn't be the list, the message isn't actually
*from* the list, it's just coming through it.

> It makes it so much easier to sort out all the list email from all my
> normal email.

Back in the days of when I had a decent mail client (on the Amiga, by
the way), I did what most people on mailing lists did.  We sorted our
list mail into different folders, one per list.  Using something unique
to each list.  In this case, your best choices are the reply-to or
list-id headers.  You could also use the to address, although you can
sometimes mis-filter a CC'd or forwarded message, that way.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.