Help w. R & texlive install

Mohamed El Morabity pikachu.2014 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 13:22:25 UTC 2010

2010/4/27 Mail Llists <lists at sapience.com>

>  I'm running F12. I use texlive - however, the fedora version is too
> old (2007) and since  I coordinate with others in writing papers - all
> of who use texlive 2009 - I have compatibility problems. (e.g. no
> biblatex, problems with natbib style files etc)
>
>  So I installed the upstream 2009 texlive - which works perfectly and
> exactly the same as everyone else!
>
>  Problem is I also need to install R - it has texlive as a dependency
> and doesn't see the already installed texlive - what is the right way to
> install R - but without it dragging in any fedora based texlive ?
>
>  The only way I could think of was to hand install using rpm all the
> packages for R and its dependencies with --force but skipping the
> texlive ones - is there a better way ?
>
>   thanks
>
>    gene
> --

Hi,

the Fedora maintainer of TeX Live provides a repository for TeX Live 2010 :
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive
This may be better than using the upstream installation. And so you can help
to improve this packaging by using it and reporting bugs  :-).

But if you can't/don't want to remove your TeX Live installation, a (bad)
solution could be to build an empty RPM that will simply contain a
"Provides: texlive > 2007" or something like this to fool R packages.