List Mail From Address

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Apr 28 04:15:39 UTC 2010

On 27Apr2010 11:43, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
| On 04/27/2010 11:16 AM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
| > Is it possible to get the list mail to bear the return address of the
| > mail list instead of the address of the person who sent the mail to the
| > list?

No. (Not that I'm the list admin, though I run other lists.)

| > I've subscribed to several other lists that work that way. It makes it
| > so much easier to sort out all the list email from all my normal email.
| > I waste a lot of time trying to sort out the Fedora list mail from my
| > normal mail that I could be using to help answer list questions.
| >
| What is so hard about sorting on the "To" address or "Reply-To"?

Perhaps his mail client is deficient.

| Don't you think, if this was such a problem it wouldn't have been
| addressed long ago?

He's not coming at it from that angle. He's got a mail reader in front
of him. Most GUI reader show this multicolumn index area with subject,
from, date and a few other things.

To the naive user, all he/she has to play with is the "click on the
column heading to sort on that column".

Mark,

I suggest you either:

  Look at your mail reader's filtering options; most users usually filter
    mailing list email into a different folder (I put a lot of unix/linux
    lists into a folder called "unix"). Your mail reader should be able
    to do that for you automatically with a little setup.

  Look at your mail reader's "View" options; you may be able to get a column
    shown for some other header (eg reply-to, or effective reply address).

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Netscape Messenger has displayed the message. There is no guarantee that the
content has been read or understood.
        - reality check by Return-Receipt handler in NS Messenger 4.5