New boot failure

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 18:17:30 UTC 2010

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> writes:
> On Wednesday 28 April 2010, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> writes:
>>> My shiney new F13-beta 64 bit install on my HP dv5120u laptop is now
>>> failing, losing all response to a plugged in mouse, the touch pad and
>>> keyboard at about the time it draws the bottom bar on the screen, showing
>>> only the 4 workspace icons and the trash can.  No other buttons or menu
>>> icons get drawn.
>>
>>Same thing happened here.
>>
>>Are you using f13-beta with compiz?  There is a bug in xorg that locks
>>up the display and keyboard when using compiz.  The fix is here:
>>
>>  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.testers/80940
>>
>>or in short grab the relevent xorg files and do a "yum --localinstall"
>>of them.
>>

>> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/xorg-x11-server/1.8.0/8.fc13/x8
>>6_64/xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.8.0-8.fc13.x86_64.rpm
>> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/xorg-x11-server/1.8.0/8.fc13/x8
>>6_64/xorg-x11-server-common-1.8.0-8.fc13.x86_64.rpm
>>
>>-wolfgang
>>
> I'm assuming the usual trick of booting to level 3 will work?  Ahh, no, the
> boot delay is zero, so there is no chance to  edit grub.  Or is there a magic
> vulcan nerve pinch for that?

I always create a pristine user as a fallback whenever I install, so
after forcefully rebooting with a long power-button press I logged into
that user.  You can also switch to an alternate vt with alt-control-f2.
Interestingly, you can also ssh in.  The computer itself is functional.
Only the console is affected.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
If the airwaves belong to the public why does the public only get 3