gnome-vfs-smb -> huge nested folder transfer failures

KC8LDO kc8ldo at arrl.net
Thu Apr 29 04:49:59 UTC 2010

I have a fully updated Fedora-11 32 bit OS install. The problem I have is
when copying a huge folder, a hundred or so nested folders inside the top
level folder and around 13000 files for about 2.6 GB of data, over the local
network using Nautilus to connect to a network share. The transfer gets
anywhere from 700 MB to around 1 GB then fails. A few times I saw a message
about some "dbus" time out error.

I can skip using Nautilus and use the KDE smb4k to do the transfer and it
works just fine. The only difference seems to be gnome-vfs-smb is hanging
when doing the transfer through Nautilus.

Has anybody experienced this problem and how do you fix it? I ended up
pulling in half of the KDE desktop just to use smb4k which I really didn't
want to do but I know it works.

Regards;

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

"There are morons in every line of work.
Some just get paid more for their stupidity ".