mod_auth_mysql apache - multiple tables?

bryan bryan at redfedora.co.uk
Thu Apr 29 21:30:09 UTC 2010

Hi All

This is my first foray into mod_auth_mysql with apache. I'm trying to
get some things straight in my own mind, so would be grateful if someone
could tell me whether I have this figured out right...

I'm going to have multiple people connecting to httpd, but I need to
restrict access so that only certain groups can see certain data.

The thinking goes as follows: -

/var/www/html/acme
/var/www/html/widget

only acme accesses acme and widget, widget

I'm assuming I can create an acme table and a widget table and then
alter /etc/httpd/conf.d/mod_auth_mysql.conf file to reflect each group
in multiple instances in that file...

<Directory /var/www/html/acme>
     AuthName "MySQL group authenticated zone"
     AuthType Basic
     AuthMYSQLEnable on
     AuthMySQLUser authuser
     AuthMySQLPassword PaSsW0Rd
     AuthMySQLDB acme
     AuthMySQLUserTable users
     AuthMySQLNameField user_name
     AuthMySQLPasswordField user_passwd
     AuthMySQLGroupField user_group
     require group acme
</Directory>

<Directory /var/www/html/widget>
     AuthName "MySQL group authenticated zone"
     AuthType Basic
     AuthMYSQLEnable on
     AuthMySQLUser authuser
     AuthMySQLPassword PaSsW0Rd
     AuthMySQLDB widget
     AuthMySQLUserTable users
     AuthMySQLNameField user_name
     AuthMySQLPasswordField user_passwd
     AuthMySQLGroupField user_group
     require group widget
</Directory>

If someone could tell me my thinking is correct and this would work I'd
be extremely grateful, likewise if my thinking is wrong! a working
example or two would also be gratefully received.

Thanks

Bryan