Laptops, virtualisation, and networking

Dan Irwin rummymobile at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 22:43:50 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Ryan Lynch <ryan.b.lynch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't quite tell from your post, so I apologize if I'm barking up
> the wrong tree, here, but is there a reason why you can't NAT the
> guest network traffic through the container OS?

Unless I'm mistaken, doing this generally requires you to specify a
physical interface to NAT on, like eth0 or wlan0.

When using virt-manager I can't tell it to NAT on ppp0 or ppp1 as
these interfaces don't appear in the destination list.

I believe vmware products (server, player) are the same.

However, I can maybe do it this way:

1) Set up a virtual network on my laptop (No NAT, not bridged, but routed)
2) Set the default gateway to my laptop
3) Create some scripts to fire up NAT in different scenarios (eg wlan
or vpn) using whatever outbound interface is current (iptables
MASQUERADE perhaps?)

Also, I wonder how IPv6 will go when thrown into this mix.

I will probably toy with this stuff sometime this weekend. It's kind
of difficult to test while sitting in my office - unless I go outside
and find a 3G signal and vpn in..

Cheers,

Dan