Leaving firefox running remotely through a ssh connection

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 18:56:04 UTC 2010

On 4 August 2010 06:55, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:22 AM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If your intention is to keep a constantly running firefox session
>> which you want to connect to at some point in time in the future, then
>> I would suggest you run a VNC (or some other remote desktop protocol)
>> and start firefox from there. So something like this should work,
>>
>> paul at remote-host $ vncserver :<display> -geometry <desired_resolution>
>>
>> Then locally start a vnc client of some kind (vncviewer, tigervnc,
>> remmina, ... ) and connect to the remote machine and start firefox.
>> Now every time you connect with a vnc client you will have access to
>> the same firefox session.
>
> Yes, my intention is to keep a constantly firefox session, which I
> want to connect to at some point in time in the future. Thanks for
> suggesting me VNC. I will try it, but meanwhile I have a question: can
> the VNC session be seen by someone nearby the remote computer?

As Mike mentioned in one of his posts, you can try ssh port forwarding
from the command line. If you prefer the gui I would recommend remmina
(available on both F12 and F13). It has very easy to use ssh port
forwarding interface for vnc connections. I use it quite often during
the course of my work.

> Paul

GL
--