Creating an Audio only DVD from several CD's

linux at gabriel-striewe.de linux at gabriel-striewe.de
Sat Aug 7 18:32:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 11:51:30AM -0700, JD wrote:
>   I have ripped several CD's to wave files.
> I deliberately numbered the wave tracks
> in a sequential order that keeps the order
> of play of each original cd.
>
> I then used dvda-author to create the audio dvd directory.
> I then used growisofs to burn it to a DVD.
>
> I can mount the resulting DVD and it has the
> directories audio_ts/    and  video_ts/
> Of course the video_ts is empty.
> The audio_ts has several triplets of
> ats_01_0.bup
> ats_01_0.ifo
> ats_01_1.aob
> ats_02_0.bup
> ats_02_0.ifo
> ats_03_1.aob
> .
> .
> .
> ...etc for numbers  ats_4, ats_5, ats_6, ...etc.
> and  has the final triplet
>
> audio_pp.ifo
> audio_ts.bup
> audio_ts.ifo
>
> Problem is I am unable to play it back with any Linux based
> media players (xine, mplayer, vlc, ogle, rhythmbox...etc).
> Even the home video player does not recognize it as playable
> media.

There is a site on a an open source tool:
http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/
They say that not every home dvd player is able to play DVD-Audio.

Since I am also interested in this, I will give it a try during the
next days. I have a Denon 1920, which should support SACD, DVD-Video
and DVD-Audio (it explicitly says so on the cover, so I suppose there
should be some DVD players which don't support DVD Audio). I will try
my result out on that one as well as on xine and/or mplayer.

Maybe you need the UDF file system support from your kernel? At least
that's what is hinted at on the dvd audio site.

> Has anyone successfully done this?
>
> Thank.
>
> JD

Regards,