F-13 qnw wireless routers -

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 21:32:16 UTC 2010

On Saturday, August 07, 2010 05:14:52 pm Bob Goodwin did opine:

>   On 07/08/10 16:00, g wrote:
> > then, start out with a reflector plane and graduate up to a helix.
> >
> > i have built 'cantenna', 'log periodic', and 'helix' for amateur radio
> > microwave, and wifi, with good to excellent results for both.
> >
> > have fun.
>
>     G, I have antennas all over, but these two boxes I am messing with
>     have no connectors. Not only that but cable losses are very high at
>     these frequencies and more than a few inches of cable will cost you
>     more in loss than you can gain with directivity. 5 gHz probably
>     wants wave guide ...
>
>     Bob

Absolutely Bob.  About the practical Maximum Usable Frequency of coax is in
the 2.2 Ghz range, and that is for 1.625 inch heliax or better yet, rigid.
About $7 to $12/foot, used.  I have used smaller stuff, but at 1.5Ghz
ranges, with buckets of powered gain on the sending end, it can make it 300
feet still strong enough to drive a 950-1450mhz satellite receiver over
quad shielded RG11.  Those teeny little cables they put on so-called 7DBI
antennas actually have a loss of several DB/meter.  I have one of those,
tested at about + 0.5 DB over the cards rubber ducky at its best placement.
Needless to say, any connectivity I have in the attached workshop,
separated from here by 3 walls, one of which still has the alu house siding
on it, is by way of a 150 foot cat5 cable to the outbuilding my cnc mill is
in, thru a 100base-t hub out there, and another 100 foot of cat5 across the
yard and in a side window of the garage.  PIMA, but it works.  That first
150 footer has been strung overhead, swinging in the wind for at least 6
years now, and in fact survived a wind on June 24 that took down 3 of the 5
mature trees on my property, and measured 112 mph on a recording anemometer
about a block away, downwind.  I am amazed that a common piece of Belden
blue cat5, right out of a 1000' box, is still working, but it is.

[root at coyote linux-2.6.35.1]# ping shop
PING shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.76
ms
64 bytes from shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.142
ms
64 bytes from shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.140
ms

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)