HTML mail [was Re: FEL was Re: Hi]

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 9 02:02:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 02:49 +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> But it seems this is not what I received. You can look back in this
> thread where I quoted the full OP message, as KMail showed it to me.
> There was no mention of html context, nor any tags for line breaks.

I received the original message as a multipart alternative, with a plain
text version, and an alternative HTML version.  Most modern clients will
show you one of the versions, as per your configuration preferences, and
many will allow you to alternate between viewing one or the other, some
will let you see you both at the same time, others will only show you
one of them.

With clients that can't handle HTML, but can handle multi-part
alternative, you'll probable only see the plain text part, and perhaps
the HTML part will appear as an attachment.  With really basic clients,
the whole thing may appear as text, twice over, with the alternative
shown after the first part.  Much the same as viewing the raw source of
an email in the modern GUI clients.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686