UI freezes while copying large file via NFS

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 19:46:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 15:06:11 -0430
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

I can't explain the problem (that would be for someone who
understands the network code in linux :-), but I can
offer a workaround gimmick:

Use rsync to do the copying and come up with a --bwlimit
option that will keep it from completely clogging the
network and let it catch its breath sometimes.

I use --bwlimit on my rsync backups to keep my fanless
system usb controller chip from overheating when I
do nightly backups, and it has worked so well, I
haven't yet gotten up the energy to install the better
heatsink I bought :-).