dns problem for wireless connection via NetworkManager

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 10 12:42:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 19:46 +1000, L wrote:
> In the Search Domains text box, type "opennic.glue". I'm not sure if
> this is needed, but it never hurt anything in the past.

The search domain is what will be appended to hostnames, when you do
things using just the hostname.

e.g. "ping testname" would become "ping testname.opennic.glue".

If hostnames resolve, by themselves.  Or your the rest of your
networking works perfectly (name resolution, etc., etc.), and your
domain name is the same as you'd otherwise have put into the search
parameter, then you probably won't see an advantage in manually setting
it.

But if hostnames don't resolve without the domain name being appended,
or you want a different domain name to be appended, then it is an
advantage to set that.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686