Processor Scalability and Linux

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Tue Aug 10 16:43:12 UTC 2010

JD wrote:

> Thank you Matt! I am glad Linux has kept up with this
> area which is becoming more and more important as
> cpu's multiply their cores.
> Perhaps there will be a refinement that will allow
> the setting of core affinity as well.
> AMD released the 8-core cpu in 2009
>
> http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guru3d.com%2Fnews%2Famd-unleashes-hydra-8-core-cpu-in-2009%2F&ei=DnhhTKCRCZH0swPX4K3NCA&usg=AFQjCNEatbZxHgmbm1a300qyI-TP6Giupw
>
> 16 core cpu's are on the horizon, if not already in production.
> So I hope the affinity code will be refined to allow selecting
> a set of cores as well.

JD,

I'm fairly certain that taskset doesn't distinguish between CPUs and cores.  If you have 2 quad-core CPUs, it should already allow you to assign the CPU affinity to any set of the 8 available cores.

I think this is just a case of the documentation lagging behind the code.

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer