Fedora 13 Samba weirdness

Eugene Jansen van Rensburg eugenejvr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 12:27:45 UTC 2010

1.  create a file anyware containing your credentials (I used
/etc/.smbcreds) mybe use a place that only you can access
    Formate it like this
    username=yourusername
    password=yourpassword

2.  run the mount command like this
    mount -t cifs //server_ip/share /yourmountpoint/ -o
credentials=/etc/.smbcreds

I use this on fedora 13 with no problems and no password in the mount
command output

hope it helps

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 14:07, kalinix <calin.kalinix.cosma at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 13:36 +0100, nux at li.nux.ro wrote:
>
> > Yes, provide the password via PASSWD environment variable
>
> not feasible, as PASSWD env var is already used.
> And anyway, by using it I have the same error:
>
> [calin at calin ~]$ sudo mount //sambaserver/share /local/mountpoint -o
> username=USER
> mount: block device //sambaserver/share is write-protected, mounting
> read-only
> mount: cannot mount block device //sambaserver/share read-only
>
> > or via a
> > credentials file. man mount.cifs
> >
> > --
> > Nux!
> > www.nux.ro
> >

> Now this becomes weirder:
>

> [calin at calin ~]$ man mount.cifs
> No manual entry for mount.cifs
>
> [calin at calin ~]$ yum search mount.cifs
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, remove-with-leaves, security
> Warning: No matches found for: mount.cifs
> No Matches found
>
> man mount:
>
> Mount options for cifs
>       See  the  options  section  of the mount.cifs(8) man page
> (samba-client package
>       must be installed).
>
> [calin at calin ~]$ yum list samba-client
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, remove-with-leaves, security
> Installed Packages
> samba-client.x86_64                            3.5.4-62.fc13
> @updates
>

> Any ideea where I could find that man for mount.cifs? :)
>

> --
>

> Calin
>
> Key fingerprint = 37B8 0DA5 9B2A 8554 FB2B 4145 5DC1 15DD A3EF E857

*Eugene Jansen van Rensburg*
eMail: eugenejvr at gmail.com

*"Quit is NOT an option"*