F12: bash-completion issues?

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 22:34:25 UTC 2010

  On 08/13/2010 03:14 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On 08/13/2010 02:26 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

>>> Yes, I have it installed on F12 and reinstalled it again.
>>> Does not work for me for some reason...
>>>
>> Just in case you have redefined TAB in some way, the escape for completion is
>> ESC-\ (escape backslash), try that. But I think the problem is elsewhere.
>>
> Ok, tried it.  It does not do anything at all.

Completion is user defined.
If you define it as Esc, then it is escape.
If you define it as TabTab then that's what it is.
Be careful is your shell also uses vi mode for command line editing.

For example:
I use ksh.
in my .profile,

set -o vi

allows me to bring up command history with
Esc\pattern
which lists the neares command in the history.
Now if I press Esc then v
i will enter vi edit screen to do extensive changes to the command,

In such a case, you do not want Esc to be your filename completion
character.

Otherwise, Esc is a valid choice for filename completion.