F-13 new wireless routers -

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 15 02:38:37 UTC 2010

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>
>> Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> writes:
>>
>>>     Yes  I have been running WEP 'cause I have one old device that can
>>>     do no more than that, and I usually admit only certain [18 or 19]
>>>     MAC addresses that I have listed. Add to that the fact that I am in
>>>     a rural area surrounded by cotton and soy beans, the distance to the
>>>     road is about 200 meters, I don't think LAN security is a major
>>>     worry. I can't detect any other systems when I scan.
>>>
>> Well, WEP will keep out the casual person looking for an open wifi.  To
>> be honest, I think that is good enough unless you have a bored and
>> highly talented kid living next door.
>>

> I live across the street from a college. My security is better than theirs,
> thankfully.

And they employ CISSPs too.  I feel that they should be like an armoured
camp.  However you cannot tell most of the 19 year old crowd about
netbots and the like.  It's fun when they bring in their laptops and you
tell them that you cannot do jack for them and that Geek Squad is only a
phone call away...(After the bot blows up their hard drive due to
excessive activity and it has their project that is due tomorrow on it.)

James McKenzie
SSCP 367830 (yes, I am a security expert, that's why I don't run
Winblows and my unprotected Linux box is not on the 'Net.)