best supported ESATA cards for linux

Nataraj incoming-fedora-list at rjl.com
Mon Aug 16 01:37:37 UTC 2010

I'm looking for a 4 port, x8 PCI Express card which supports port
multiplier, NCQ and hot swap and has decent performance.

Based on  https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Hardware,_driver_status
it seems that an AHCI or silicon image based controller would be the
best choices.  It appears that AHCI chipsets are mostly found in
motherboard SATA controllers.

I found a few different Silicon image based cards, though it looks like
most of them seem to be reselling the same cards.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/DAT%20Optic/ESATAPCIE8/
This one seems to be a raid version of the one above, but I prefer
non-hardware raid for data archival purposes.
http://www.datoptic.com/four-esata-pci-express.html

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/adsa3gpx8-4em.asp

Does anyone have any experience with any of these cards, or any other
good cards which use one of the better drivers.

THanks,
Nataraj