Thinkpad A22p/Improper Video on Install

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 16 02:13:07 UTC 2010

On 08/15/2010 09:11 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
<snip>

> Does it take a LONG time to boot into X or did I do something wrong?

determined by cpu speed, memory, hdd speed, and a few other things.

> And what can I do to revert the inittab back so I can mess with this
> file some more (actually key it into submission.)

you can press <tab> or <esc> to interrupt boot screen. at menu prompt,
press <e> to edit, cursor down to line starting with "kernel", press <e>.

cursor will be at end of line, press <space> then <1> then <enter> then <b>.

you will boot to 'level 1'.

at 'root' user prompt:

  cd /etc
  vi inittab

press down arrow key to line with 'id:5:initdefault:', move cursor with
right arrow key to '5', press <r> key, press <3> key.

to write/save, and exit, press in sequence ':wq' with out ''.

this will change 'id:5:initdefault:' to 'id:3:initdefault:' and thereafter
system will boot to command line login.

while at 'level 1', type in "init 3<enter>" to start 'level 3', login.

when logged in, "cd /etc/X11", "su", make what ever changes you wish to
'xorg.conf'. save file.

enter 'exit' or press <ctrl+c> to return to 'user'.

entering 'startx' will start "X" server.

hth.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.