hdparm (was: understanding smart logs)

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 16:49:24 UTC 2010

"Bryn M. Reeves" <bmr at redhat.com> writes:
> At a bare minimum you should use the drive's built-in secure erase
> feature (either using hdparm's (experimental) support or using the
> vendor's proprietary tools).

Does the hdparm secure erase work on most motherboards?  It seems that
most of newer boards have a bios that disables the secure erase at bios
boot time.  Only my oldest mobo allows me to use the security erase.  I
find that I have to move my drives to that motherboard before I can
erase them, which is a royal pain in the neck.  (All the systems are
running the exact same F13 64-bit fully up to date OS.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht      http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/      (IPv6-only)