Sendmail on a LAN

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Aug 17 18:12:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 10:09:55AM -0700, JD wrote:
>   On 08/17/2010 09:36 AM, Tim wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 15:24 -0400, Gregory Woodbury wrote:
> >> Get a dyndns.com name for your router public ip address and set up at
> >> dyndns to get mail delivered to that name.
> > Of course, if your IP changes, then mail is going to get screwed up
> > during the time it takes for next delivery attempt to go to your new IP
> > address, instead of the old one.
> >
> > Dyndns, and other such things, are useful for giving yourself a hostname
> > that you can control, to a static IP.  But aren't going to be much good
> > if you have a dynamic IP.  Private webserving's easy enough with a
> > varying IP, mail serving's another matter.
> >

> My router's public IP address is static. So that is not a problem.
> But per other replies on  this list, it sounds like
> a complicated puzzle to solve.
> I have a dyndns name. and it maps onto my router's static IP
> address. But I think at&t is blocking port 25.
> I will have to talk to them and see if they will open it up.
> I really need a tutorial on how I can accomplish this when
> my sendmail machine is on a LAN.

some years ago, one of those dynamic dns providers (it might have been
dyndns--I can't really remember with any certainty) offered a non-free
service where they would reroute smtp traffic for your domain to some
port other than 25, so you could put your sendmail (or whatever) on some
non-standard port, the whole point being to foil the gestapo-like rules
of some ISPs.

    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996