Sendmail on a LAN

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 18 10:31:55 UTC 2010

Tim:
>> Dyndns, and other such things, are useful for giving yourself a hostname
>> that you can control, to a static IP.  But aren't going to be much good
>> if you have a dynamic IP.  Private webserving's easy enough with a
>> varying IP, mail serving's another matter.

PaulCartwright:
> You can update dyndns every month even if your ip changes. MY IP lease
> used to last a month.. YMMV
> I decided to go the extra mile & $5 a month & get a static IP..

Whether it be monthly, or more rapidly, SMTP servers aren't supposed to
change (numerical IP) addresses.  It's not a good idea to run a SMTP
server from a dynamic address.  When your address changes, you lose mail
(from anything that cached your IP, and keeps on using the cached
address), and someone else (who gets your old one) get spammed.

Though the original poster has clarified that they have a static IP, so
this issue won't apply to then.