forwarding Syslog messages on localhost:514

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Aug 18 18:04:36 UTC 2010

Mansuri, Wasim (NSN - IN/Bangalore) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have following problem with respect to syslogd on fedora13.
>
> With the following configuration in the /etc/syslog.conf i should be able to receive all syslog messages on localhost:514 port.
>
> *.* @localhost
>
> I am not getting anything on localhost:514. However if additionally i give following in conf file.
>
> *.* @localhost
> *.* @remoteIP
>
> In the I am receiving syslog messages on remoteIP:514 server. I tried to see straces and in strace it does not show any hint about sending data to localhost:514.
>
> Is this the normal behavior of syslogd or I am missing something in configuration?

I don't have any idea what you are trying to do, but are you aware that you can
send syslog to a fifo (named pipe) and read from that?

My mail server pipes error messages to a fifo read by a perl program which plays
with iptables rules for evil incoming connections.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>