No WIFI under HP Probook 4515s

Zoltan Hoppar hopparz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 06:07:17 UTC 2010

Hi guys,

Currently I have run out of ideas about how to activate, and create an
working wifi on my new machine. It uses an Broadcom PHY - Broadcom
Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01). I have followed
the the advices at linuxwireless.org - but no effect. Maybe I have made
mistakes, or something went wrong - I couldn't tell that. I have already
changed the latest kernel to PAE version, because wasn't were the default.
Changed also the firmware package to newer, but what currently I have
achieved is the following:

Networkmanager sees that I have wifi, but shows no wifi network, and says
it's "disconnected". The iwconfig command says that I have wireless at eth1,
but further data has seems to be set up to nothing  (IEEE 802.11
Nickname:"", Access Point: Not-Associated, Link Quality:5  Signal level:0
Noise level:0, Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0  invalid misc:0).

Somewhere I have red that for that PHY is integrated with the bluetooth
(witch is works - seems to be active), and I will need one of the 2.6.35.xx
kernel for fedora. Well, I don't know, but I don't want back the originally
shipped SuSE Enterprise Desktop 11....

--
PGP:  06853DF7