Problem when upgrading from F12 to F13

Jim binarynut at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 16:28:05 UTC 2010

  On 08/20/2010 11:30 AM, Jon Ingason wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have to computer where I run Fedora. One is i686 (Pentium III
> (Coppermine) 800 MHz), 512 Mbytes memory and the other one is x86_64
> (AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 1800 MHz,  2 Gbytes
> memory. I had installed F12 on both of them. The /boot (ext4) is 200
> Mbytes on both computer. I decided to do preupgrade on both (F12 ->
> F13). Since the /boot is only 200 Mbytes I followed the instructions
> published on Fedora wiki "How to use PreUpgrade"
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade).
>
> The preupgrade of the i686 went fine. It only did do the first step so
> when I rebooted the computer I only needed to configure the network as
> stated in the wiki. When I tried to preupgrade the x86_64 using same
> method as with the i686 the /boot got full and the preupgrade program
> crashed.
>
> I have goggled and not found this problem. Have other same problem with
> x86_64 or is there other way to do this without resizing /boot?
>
> PS The rest of the disk is LVM on both computers.
I have found the easiest way to upgrade is get the latest
"Fedora-release" and "Fedora-release-notes" from the F13 mirrors and
"rpm -Uvh" both rpm's into F12 , then do a "yum clean all" and lastly
"yum upgrade" from command line .

It will replace all your F12 rpm's with F13 rpm's and then you Reboot
your computer into a F13 kernel, and the LAST thing you have to do is "
rpm -qa | grep kernel"  that will display all the F12 kernels left
behind, you do a "yum remove"  any kernels left behind.  If I use the
command line and Copy and Paste those old F12 kernels  at "yum remove"
it makes it easier.

And very lastly you got a Brand Spanking new F13 to boot from.

I have done a lot of F12 > F13 boxes that way without any problems.

Be sure to leave out all the quotes I put in this email.