Fedora updates getting more like Windows every day

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 22 00:09:30 UTC 2010

Dave Stevens wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 17, 2010 09:03:28 pm James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>
>>> Remember the old joke GIF image, with the box which said
>>>
>>>   you have moved your mouse
>>>   in order for this change to be effective you must reboot your system

>> work in an office that runs, literally, 500 RHEL/RHAS servers).  They
>> are the one that said this, when Fedora was introduced.  I ran RH
>> 7.1-9.1, FC 1-4 and then moved to a Mac.  Due to my work on several FOSS
>> projects, I am back trying to install Fedora 13.
>>

> why "trying?" my install was dead simple.

Older hardware.  You should try it sometime.  I know of companies that
are still running Pentium IIIs (I used to work for one.)  With Windows,
they are no longer supported.  Fedora still does (and with a few
off-loaded projects you can still run the old time S-3 video cards as well.)

The problem is that older Fedora installations miscalculated the amount
of vidram and the screen size.  Newer ones run text installations.  At
least THAT is an improvement.

Anyway, I do have to run OpenSource RH products.  I don't need/desire a
support contract, for the moment, on the system.

James McKenzie