Migrating data off a failing drive

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 05:08:39 UTC 2010

Hi,

Recently one of my hard drives developed bad sectors. I have asked for
RMA and the manufacturer has shipped the new drive. I am expecting
delivery this Monday.

Now my question is, what would be the best way to migrate the data to
the new drive? My confusion is at 2 steps:

1) I have an LVM spanning the entire physical volume, created while
    installing Fedora from the Live CD. So what are the proper sequence
    of steps to create a new LVM on a new drive? Is the following
    correct:
    1. create a physical volume with pvcreate
    2. create an LVM on that physical volume with lvcreate

2) After I have created the new LVM, do I just simply mount it and
    copy the data off my faulty partition with something like rsync?
    (my backups are couple of months old :( , so would prefer to keep the
    latest data). I am asking as I am not sure how the bad sectors
    might affect the copied data and the new drive.

Thanks for any inputs.

--
Suvayu