Fedora updates getting more like Windows every day

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Sun Aug 22 06:41:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
> It's getting so keeping systems up to date with current patches is
> incompatible with reasonable uptime goals. More and more upgrades
> require a reboot, and even reading the CVE data behind the update it's
> not always possible to tell if a fix is urgent. I'd like to encourage a
> bit more detail in the info with the upgrade, and a little more thought
> about what can be done to reduce reboots.

It looks like Ksplice integration is already complete for Fedora 14:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Ksplice_Uptrack_rebootless_updates

"Keep Fedora's kernel up-to-date without rebooting. This uses the
Ksplice Uptrack service to update the running kernel in memory,
boosting security, availability and convenience by making it possible
to stay on top of important kernel updates without the disruption of a
reboot... The service is already operational in a preview for Fedora
13, and will begin supplying Fedora 14's kernel updates as soon as the
kernel stabilizes."

-c