Auto save for .txt files

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 09:04:44 UTC 2010

On 22 August 2010 00:52, Parshwa Murdia <b330bkn at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Suvayu Ali
> <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What editor are you using? gedit or something else?
>

> When I type the following:
>
> ]$ gedit FILENAME.txt
>
> I am able to write something in the popped up file.

I think you are misunderstanding how auto save works with editors on
linux. The file you are editing is usually saved as a different file.
So if you are editing "myfile.txt"  then the older version of the file
is kept as "myfile.txt~" and the autosaved file is usually saved as
#myfile.txt#. This 2nd part differs depending on what editor you are
using. I am not very familiar with gedit's behaviour to give any more
details.

GL

--
Suvayu