F13 and sound in Thunderbird

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 17:00:39 UTC 2010

I have just installed a new f13 system clean in a machine that was
previously running and needed updating and I have a problem that I
can't fix.

Everything that I have tested works just fine, except that in
Thunderbird (both stock as well as latest nightly) if you go to
Edit->Preferences->General and click to play a sound for incoming
mail, then if you select the system sound it works, but if you ask it
to play a .wav file then it does not but instead plays the default
system sound ( a beep ) when email arrives.

I have tried to run alsamixer from a terminal and have only a limited
number of options but the few things that are visible are set on and
at a reasonable level and this seems not to help. I have pavucontrol
and paman installed but nothing there seems to help either for
pulseaudio control.

Yet in a terminal using aplay xxxx.wav does play the sound file
perfectly, so sound appears to both be on and working.

Does anyone else have this issue?  If so is there a known workaround?
I am guessing this is a bug in Thunderbird, but could be a problematic
interaction between Thunderbird and pulseaudio?

Any information gratefully received that might get this working.... oh
and this is from Gnome as the desktop.

--
mike c