Fedora updates getting more like Windows every day

Brian Mury brianmury at alumni.uvic.ca
Sun Aug 22 17:17:55 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-22 at 10:37 +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> If it is not a kernel update then it will most likely not require
> a reboot. Everything else can be made functional through a service
> restart at most.

Perhaps. However, package-kit more often than not tells me I must reboot
after installing updates. Perhaps it is being over-zealous, but I agree
with the OP that it makes updates feel a lot like Windows.

If an update requires a service restart, it would be nice if package-kit
would tell me that, instead of telling me a reboot is required. Even
nicer would be if it would restart the service for me :-).

Brian