grub menu is automatically skipped

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Mon Aug 23 18:16:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 17:30 +0000, JB wrote:

> But if you present a menu selection between one Linux (hibernated) and Win, then
> the user, immediatelly or after finishing with Win, may decide to NOT return to
> last hibernated Linux, but instead select another Linux menu item,

Sorry for not being crystal clear. When I said "different versions of
Linux", I should have said "different Linux distributions". I was
thinking more along the lines of Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo, etc. installed
on their own separate root partitions, not different kernel versions of
the same distro. I have done things like this and had separate swap
partitions for each distro and had them all hibernated at the same time.
It works.

I do realize that it is not practical to have a separate swap partition
for every selectable kernel version, and selecting the wrong kernel
could cause a hibernated image to not load and possibly be overwritten.
A small risk, since I am the only "user" of my desktop system so I can
reasonably count on this not happening, and even if the hibernated image
is lost, the OS can still be booted up. I mainly use hibernate/suspend
to save time and I know better than to leave editor sessions with
critical files half-edited when hibernating, and so forth, so if a
hibernated image is lost, or if the system fails to resume from suspend
properly (which occasionally happens), all I lose is some time in having
to log back in, fire up all my applications, etc.

--Greg