Fedora Notifications System.

DJ Delorie dj at delorie.com
Tue Aug 24 00:47:47 UTC 2010

On 08/23/2010 02:37 PM, Mahmoud Abdul Jawad wrote:
> before two weeks, a discussion started in ambassadors mailing-list about
> a work around to deliver the important notifications to the fedora
> desktop (whatever the desktop is).

What a horrible idea.  Please PLEASE don't make it the default, and
certainly make sure I can yum remove it (because I *will* remove it).

I get enough spam already, I don't need yet another well-known way
for spammers to hack into my system and put ads in front of my face.
I also don't need yet another Surprise! distraction popping up on my
desktop.

Besides, we already have a way to do this - it's called e-mail.
Or twitter.  Or usenet.  Or facebook.  Or the web.  Or IRC.  Let people
choose whether to get notices or not, and how, don't force it down their
throats the way some big companies do.