Installing DD-WRT -

Darr darr at core.com
Tue Aug 24 15:39:03 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, 24 August, 2010 @02:15 zulu, g scribed:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_frequency-division_multiplexing
> got me started, now i am looking for more
> thorough knowledge to read.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/channel/deployment/guide/Channel.html

Shows the shape of the signals and harmonics of
both the OFDM that 11a/g use and complementary
code keying (CCK) of 11b... also shows real world
results of four stations using 1, 4, 8 and 11, versus
having two stations on channel 1 and the other two
using 6 and 11 (no big surprise the latter setup gives
nearly twice the throughput of the former).

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1428941

has a tutorial on EIRP limits and a small exposure
to how logarithmic scales work (e.g. 3dB = 2x,
10dB = 10x, ergo 13dB = 20x and 16dB = 40x).

I think its link to the part 15 PDF on the fcc.gov
site is wrong though - here's a (currently) good one:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2009-title47-vol1/pdf/CFR-2009-title47-vol1-part15.pdf

An index for all of Title 47:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/index.htm?job=rules_and_regulations

Some official IEEE specs:
802.11a, revised 2003:
http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.11a-1999.pdf
802.11n spec, adopted about 10 months ago:
http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.11n-2009.pdf

Note that both of those should take you to a page
where you have to choose what type of user you
are (e.g. academic/student), then click Accept/Begin.

Even IEEE members cannot download specifications
for free until at least 6 months after approval (well,
Standards Association working group members get
the drafts on which they vote), though we do get a discount. Breadcrumb back
to 'getieee802' to see what's available in the 802 category.