Fedora Notifications System.

Mahmoud Abdul Jawad abduljawad.mahmoud at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 17:54:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:35 AM, g <geleem at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On 08/24/2010 06:41 PM, Mahmoud Abdul Jawad wrote:
> <snip>
>

> if you read back thru post, you will see that i did post a '+1' to point
> made that i fully agree with and did not see need to write them all
> over again.

i respect your opinions, but, what is said - by you or by other users
-  doesn't help. you are just blowing away the whole idea.

> personally, see no benefit of adding something else to desktop that will
> somewhere along the line be a potential problem. especially when desktops,
> ie, kde, are always changing and in changing, breaking.

that's why i didn't create a plasmoid & sent it to the fedora admins.
the idea is a desktop independent application, why? because i'm using
d-bus which is being used be all the desktops.

> therefore, to insure that users are notified, notices should be sent thru
> list subscriptions.
>
> i subscribe to user, announce, xen, admin, redhat security, and kde list
> and i am considering subscribing to dev list.
>
> in so doing, i do keep up with most of what is happening and i see no
> reason why notifications can not be cross posted to list to inform one
> and all when needed.
>
> nor do i see any reason that there would be any complaints of such cross
> posting by subscribers of list.
>
> something that you may not have given consideration to, what happens
> when a fedora user has fedora system off for a few days of he is using
> another distribution and is still reading his emails and something
> critical comes up like an exploit that can wipe entire installation as
> soon as he runs a program that has a time delayed bomb in it and this
> bomb is set for while he is out of fedora?
>
> very simple, he loses everything. why, because he was running a distrib
> that was unaware and he did not get notified because notification did not
> come via email.
>
> this to me is a big flaw in a very fine distribution.

great point.

> there is nothing wrong with your concept if you not only have a
> notification system and an email notification and ability to disable
> notification system.
>
> another plus would be if notification system was designed to watch for
> emails with a key in them that would trigger notification system to pop
> up a notice on desktop, as long as feature had ability to disable.
>
> another flaw in automatic checking is what would happen if crazies decided
> to run a DoS for url that check is made thru. in so running DoS, they
> intercept and respond with a bogus 'all clear' of send a false 'danger'
> with an update notice. then when user tries to run update, another DoS is
> running against url for updates and another intercept is set up to download
> some form of malware or bomb.
>
> yes, this is a lot of 'what ifs', but what if it was done?
>
> therefore, i still say, *BAD IDEA*. it gains nothing.

it's not because i hate you - i don't even know your name ;) - but i'm
going to continue this, because i think at the end we will know
whether it will be able to solve such problems or not --not now.

> in closing, thank you for posting 'text/plain'. now your post will be
> easier to follow and read by others who trap 'text/html'.

you are most welcome.

> --
>
> peace out.
>
> tc,hago.

> .
>
> ****
> in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
> **
> help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today.
> **
> to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it.
> to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
> **
> learn linux:
> 'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html
> 'The Linux Documentation Project' http://www.tldp.org/