2.6.33.8-149.fc13.i686.PAE sleeps NOT

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 18:23:08 UTC 2010

  On 08/26/2010 02:18 PM, James Mckenzie wrote:
> JD<jd1008 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Sent: Aug 26, 2010 12:55 PM
>> To: Community support for Fedora users<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
>> Subject: Re: 2.6.33.8-149.fc13.i686.PAE sleeps NOT

>>> Via the system Shut Down popup, which I assume is the gold standard.
>>> Closing the screen panel on the laptop has the same effect.
>>>
>>> The fact that the problem comes and goes over kernel releases -- I test
>>> each new release as it happens -- suggests to me that its an accident
>>> of the build.
>> I just hibernated ny system using kernel
>> kernel-2.6.33.8-149.fc13.i686
>> and it went into hibernation just fine, and
>> shut the power down.
>> On manual powerup, I did not even get the
>> grub boot menu. It restored the session.
>>
>> So, for me, I confirm another op's posting here
>> that hibernating fedora wil not allow you to boot into
>> and alternate OS, such as windows. Grub automagically
>> restores fedora from hibernation.
>>
>> This is a major bug!
>>
> No, it is a major annoyance.  Modern hibernation systems boot directly into the last booted OS.  There should be no grub menu to see as it is temporarily replaced by the hibernation boot loader.

Well, I just hibernated windows xp , sp3, latest updates as of this morning.
I powered up and I get the grub boot locader menu instead of booting
directly into windows.
So, windows does not do anything to the boot loader to force the reboot
to automagically
boot windows.

> BTW, this is how it works with a Dell that I use with Windows and a Thinkpad that I've owned for over 10 years.

Yes, if you are only hibernating Linux and rebooting.

If you have dual boot (windows and linux), then hibernate windows
and reboot and see if you get the grub boot menu or not.