Dual boot Fedora 13 and Windows XP ???

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 15:03:20 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 10:08 -0400, Jesse Palser wrote:
> Dual boot Fedora 13 and Windows XP ???
>
> Hi,
>
> I formatted a 250GB HDD with NTFS and install Windows XP.
> I want to now install onto same HDD Fedora 13 and dual boot.
>
> I burned the Fedora 13 ISO to a CD and checked the MD5sum.
> I put into computer's CD drive and boot it.
> It boots fine into a working desktop.
>
> I click install icon, but do not see an option to dual boot Fedora 13
> and XP.
> On Ubuntu install, there is an option to shrink Windows partition to
> dual boot.
>
> I've Googled for hours but do not see a guide to dual boot F13 and XP.

You have to partition the disk, leaving at least one partition for each
system. One way is to download a live CD (or USB) copy of gparted, the
GNU Partition Editor. See http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Gparted can resize your existing Windows partition and create a new one
(or more than one) for Linux. It's best to let Windows use the first
partition as that what it seems to expect, so just shrink it in place.

poc