Scrub free disk blocks

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 15:11:59 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Hiisi <very-cool at rambler.ru> wrote:
> 2010/8/29 Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
> <--SNIP-->
>>
>> Modern drives support a secure erase/wipe feature (see hdparm). It's
>> probably the best option you get short of doing what probably would have
>> been smartest - encrypting it at install time ;)
>>
> <--SNIP-->
>>
>> Alan
>
> I always wondered would drive encryption significantly reduce access
> speed? For example, if I have an old Pentium III computer with 500 Mhz
> processor is it fast enough to be used with encrypted file system?

luks encrypted partitions show very little reduction in speed - I have
used encrypted partitions for an entire laptop and you really don't
notice any problem - I have not measured it so don't have quantitative
data but it is a good way to go for laptops provided you make good
provision for backups.

I guess this is because the encryption and decryption is at kernel
level - though it is a bit more effort to set up in the first place.
--
mike c