Fedora 13 installation over vnc - Xvnc refuses connection

Ambarish Sridharanarayanan ambarish at ksharanam.net
Mon Aug 30 07:18:55 UTC 2010

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010, Ambarish Sridharanarayanan wrote:

> I'm trying to install Fedora 13 over VNC [1], with TigerVNC on Windows as
> the VNC client. In the middle, my connection dropped; when reconnecting,
> TigerVNC tells me "The server is already in use". Looking at the sources,
> it looks like the XVnc thinks there's an active connection, and it looks
> like was passed on a -nevershared option. And IdleTimeout=0 is also passed
> in. Any way to reconnect to the running Anaconda to complete the
> installation? I'd like to not have to run through Anaconda again.
>
> [1] http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Installation_Guide/sn-remoteaccess-installation.html

Fixed the problem by

* downloading debug symbols for tigervnc
* extracting symbol files (rpm2cpio)
* attaching gdb to the running Xvnc process and with the help of the symbol file, changing idleTimeOut to 1 sec, so that the stale connection would be recycled

I'm filing a bug against Anaconda. I can understand IdleTimeout=0, but not -nevershared