SELINUX

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 12:43:39 UTC 2010

Patrick Dupre <pd520 <at> york.ac.uk> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Trying to install the intel compiler, I get:
> Your system is protected with Security-enhanced Linux (SELinux).
> We currently support only "Permissive" mode, which is
> not found on the system.
> To rectify this issue, you may either disable SELinux by
>         - setting the line "SELINUX=disabled" in your
> /etc/sysconfig/selinux file
>         - adding "selinux=0" kernel argument in lilo.conf or grub.conf
> files
> or make SELinux mode adjustment by
>         - setting the line "SELINUX=permissive" in your
> /etc/sysconfig/selinux file
> or ask your system administrator to make SELinux mode adjustment.
>
> Would ou just turn off SELINX ?
> I know I need to learn about SELinux !
>
> Thank.

Enforcing mode = Security policy decisions are enforced, policy violations are
logged.
Permissive mode = Security policy decisions are not enforced, policy violations
are logged.
Disabled = Security policy decisions are not computed.

So, permissive mode is only useful for policy development.
If you do not, you may as well disable selinux.
JB