err:wineconsole:WINECON_Fatal Couldn't find a decent font, aborting
jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 31 04:20:48 UTC 2010
Joshua C. wrote:
> I found something very interesting. As I said eralier I tried the same
> packages some months ago and everything worked fine. So I just tested
> all the packgaes until i found the "working" one. To clarify before I
> start: wine works fine but the "wineconsole cmd" throws the error
> about the missing font.
> This is what I did:
> I tested this on the f13-kde_livecd.x86_64
> 1. Install wine-core.i686, wine-wow.i686, wine-fonts, wine-common.
> 2. start wineconsole cmd WITHOUT starting winecfg before it
> 3. the error occurrs.
> 4. The only "working" package is 1.2.0-0.6.rc6. After installing it
> and going through the steps 1-3 wineconsole shows that it's "Building
> font metrics". After it has finished I can upgrade to the latest
> 1.3.1-1 and it works just fine.
This is most interesting. Unfortunately I did not get the Live CD
burned today. I'll give this a go tomorrow. If I find this to be true
on my system, then we have an issue to bring to the Wine folks. I'll
try using Gnome, if you don't mind.
> if I delete the .wine directory AFTER the installation of
> 1.2.0-0.6.rc6 then the error occurs again and I have to go back to the
> rc6 in order to enumerate the fonts.
> This makes me believe that this font-enumeration writes something to
> the .wine directory that's being used by the later versions. after
> installing and starting the rc6 all other versions work fine, until I
> delete the wine directory.
It does. Fonts are written to the .wine/drive_c/windows/fonts directory
(or they should be). That may be what is happening when you first run
Wine after creating a new directory. I'll also give this a go on my Mac
(since this looks like a possible Wine bug), but again this will have to
wait until tomorrow.
Thank you for the details on what you did to get this to work. This helps.
More information about the users