Init fails on FC14

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Fri Dec 3 11:36:13 UTC 2010

On 01.12.2010, stan wrote:

> The error must have some dependency on the hardware you are
> running, or I have a software combination that negates it.

I had F14 on four quite  different machines:

- an older Celeron based Laptop
- Asus UJ45C (core i5)
- AMD Quadcore
- an old P4

The same behaviour was present on all 4 machines:
booting into Gnome, opening a console, "su root",
init 3 -> nothing happens, the logout and shutdown buttons disappear
and the machine becomes unstable. This was not present in F13, which were
on those 4 machines about 1/2 year ago.

Three of the machines are (aehh, were; they contain opensuse 11.3 and
Gentoo now) freshly installed/updated ones, the Celeron laptop is preupgraded.
The bug remains the same, though.