java and firefox crashes on FC13

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 17:52:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 12:41 AM, Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone else experienced a large number of firefox crashes in the
> last few days with FC13? I have all the latest updates for x86_64, and
> I believe the recent java updates have caused some instability with
> firefox:
>
> java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin-1.6.0.0-46.1.8.3.fc13 Wed 01 Dec 2010 10:02:28 PM EST
> java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-46.1.8.3.fc13      Wed 01 Dec 2010 10:02:16 PM EST
>
> The bug reporting tool thing reports SIGSEGV (signal 11), but doesn't
> really describe the cause. It seems to happen when visiting a page
> that requires java.

A common misconception when installing Java on Linux was to simply
copy the plug-in files to the browser´s plugins dir, when in fact the
right approach was to create symlinks...

If you copied the files instead of creating links, the result was that
the first java applet crashed the browser. (I always wondered how
difficult it would have been for browser developers to find this
situation, and show an error dialog, or better, fix the issue by
moving the files outside the plugins folder and creating the symlinks
itself).

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Java

It´s the "java is not our problem" mindset of browser developers what
always makes things worse.

FC