External harddrive not spinning down on suspend

Norit norit at komma.info
Mon Dec 6 11:40:34 UTC 2010

mån 2010-12-06 klockan 12:13 +0100 skrev Norit:
> mån 2010-12-06 klockan 09:14 +0000 skrev JB:
> > Norit <norit <at> komma.info> writes:

> > > I am however having some troubles with my external usb harddrive.
> > > In Fedora the harddrive just keeps spinning when I send
> > > the notebook into suspend and is not accessible after resume. Even
> > > worse, the next suspend fails.
> >
> > I do not have experience with it, but remember that in my BIOS there is
> > an option that allows USB devices be powered on during power management
> > periods (suspend, etc).
> > You may investigate this (turn it on/off if present) and see how suspend behaves.
> > It is possible that PM suspend is buggy and does not recognize this condition.
> >
> > JB
> >

> Hi JB,
>
> this is definitely not a BIOS issue since it worked fine with opensuse
> 11.3 and except for the OS i did not change anything. And I don't see
> how powering my USB ports during standby will get my drive to spin down
> during suspend. Thank you for your reply though!
>
> Moe

Found the issue,

on a hunch and after reading
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/460126 I
temporarily removed the 99hd-apm-restore.hook file
from /var/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/ . This not only makes suspend a lot
faster but also makes the harddrive spin down. If I execute the script
with ./99hd-apm-restore.hook it takes up to 10 sec and I get the
following output:

./99hd-apm-restore.hook: rad 17: : Filen eller katalogen finns inte
saving level 128 for device sda
./99hd-apm-restore.hook: rad 48: savestate: kommandot finns inte
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Invalid exchange
Advanced Power Management not supported by device sdb.

Sorry about the swedish output, "Filen eller katalogen finns inte" means
File or folder not found and "kommandot finns inte" means command not
found

I am guessing this is a bug in the script and a missing dependency in
pm-utils. However, I have no idea on how to proceed and where to file
the bug report. Help appreciated.

Regards

Moe