gnome-shell/nouveau/NV4x hangs with kernel 2.6.35.9

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Dec 6 23:32:11 UTC 2010

I just went back to 2.6.35.6-48.fc14.i686. After installing the latest
2.6.35.9-64 errata, the desktop hanged after a few minutes of light use.
More than once.

I'm running gnome-shell, with the nouveau driver on an NV4x chipset. This is
rock-stable in 2.6.35.6. After updating to 2.6.35.9, and after the desktop
hung when I commited the offense of opening an emacs window, and after this
happened a second time, in just as many attempts, I had to back.

Something was still, apparently, running as the disk activity light continue
to blip, occasionally, after the desktop froze. No response to keyboard,
mouse, or ALT-Vt, only force power-off worked.

I found nothing in /var/log/messages. No evidence of any oops or a bug.