command wvdial not found

Harish Pillay harish.pillay at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 13:32:27 UTC 2010

>> I'll answer your questions:
>> I want use F12 because i want to use a software (NCTUns) that was tested only in F12.
>> The model of modem is "HDM EC122".
>>
>> The problem now is that even yum does not work properly. Does it nead an internet connection to work properly?
>>
>> because once i'm in fedora i'm not connected to internet.
>>
>> I did :
>>
>> yum clean metadata
>> yum install wvdial
>>
>> but did not change anything.
>
> As others have pointed out, for yum to work, it needs an link to the Internet
> unless you can point yum to a local repository.
>
> But, having said that, would you be able to consider the following
> setup:
> a) Do you have the package that you must run, NCTUns, available
>    to be reinstalled?
> b) Is your computer capable of running virtual machines?
> c) If your answers to a) and b) above are yes, then you might
>    want to install F14 on your existing machine, create a virtual
>    machine and install Fedora 12 in the VM and install NCTUns
>    in it.
>
> Can you also contact the NCTUns folks to get them to update their
> stuff to F14?

Assuming the NCTuns is from http://nsl10.csie.nctu.edu.tw/, checking
their support page:
http://nsl10.csie.nctu.edu.tw/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1034&sid=366fc024a6ec7a9c298103c5636dc58b
shows that their version for Fedora 12 was released earlier this year.
I think it will be updated and perhaps you should contact them.

I do wish also, that the tool was open sourced, but it does not seem
to be.

Harish